To provide children with interdisciplinary academic enrichment opportunities that enable children to experience discovery and creativity in ways that enhance their inquisitiveness, curiosity and confidence in a positive and safe environment.
- Promote interest in learning beyond the traditional academic school day
- Create learning environments that foster creativity and inquiry
- Provide students with opportunities to laugh, play and have fun
- Connect participating students to the educational, cultural and personal resources at the Colleges
- Create relevant and real-world learning experiences that reflect the interests and talents of participating students
- Create a supportive environment that helps students develop positive social and academic habits and skills
- Facilitate collaboration between HWS students and staff and Discovery's Playground Director. This includes incorporating Service Learning students furthering their interest in working with children. In addition, HWS staff is encouraged to share their various areas of expertise with the children.
Participating children in grades K-5 will play, explore and learn through a variety of activities designed to complement the school curriculum in a setting that is fun, engaging, and builds self-esteem. Each day includes time for a snack, recreation and play, homework assistance, and enrichment activities. Enrichment activities will involve interdisciplinary explorations of science, the arts (theater, visual arts, dance and music), mathematics, literature, environmental studies, and other disciplines.
Discovery’s Playground will be offered five days a week, two hours per day. The 2016-2017 program follows the Geneva Public Schools calendar, beginning the first day of school for children and ending the last full day of school for children.
- 3:30-4:00 p.m. Arrival by bus and snack time
- 4:00-5:30 p.m. Enrichment activity, homework, free playtime
- Discovery's Playground will not be open on half days, snow days, or Superintendent's Conference days when children do not attend school.
Linda Welle, Director
Linda Welle has taught grades 2-7 over a 34-year period and retired in June 2011 from the Canandaigua City School District. She is duly certified in the areas of elementary and special education. She has missed working with children, which has brought her to Discovery’s Playground. Linda is married to her husband, Steve, a researcher at the University of Rochester, and has two grown children, Kevin and Megan.
Pat Blakeslee, Assistant Director
Pat Blakeslee is an avid naturalist and active master gardener with a keen interest in project-based learning. Pat has worked as a geologist, an editor, and most recently as an elementary teacher in the Geneva School District, where she has taught in K-5 classrooms in varying capacities and supervised 4-H clubs for students in grades 2-10. She lives in Phelps with her husband, four cats and one very large dog.
The program is on a sliding scale based upon the number of days of participation, as well as number of family members that attend. Please see the list below for the rates and weekly charges.
1 day = $20 ($20 per day)
2 days = $40 ($20 per day)
3 days = $57 ($19 per day)
4 days = $72 ($18 per day)
5 days = $85 ($17 per day)
Discovery's Playground is open to children in grades K-5. The program begins at 3:30 p.m. and ends at 5:30 p.m.
Conferences & Events
Conferences & Events
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
300 Pulteney Street
678 South Main Street
Geneva, NY 14456
Phone: (315) 781-3103
Fax: (315) 781-4325