All graduate students applying for financial aid must submit the following:

Step 1: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal FAFSA
This application is required in order to receive federal aid and must be received electronically in the Financial Aid Office by May 1.

Students who have filed the FAFSA electronically in previous years have a PIN and may file a renewal FAFSA. Please note, as a graduate student your parent is no longer required to submit their personal or financial information, you are considered independent for federal aid purposes. Students who have never filed electronically or who have lost or misplaced their PIN may request a new one. Once you have your PIN, file your FAFSA electronically. The HWS federal school code is 002731.

Step 2: Verification
Your FAFSA may be selected for Verification, which is the process by which the financial aid office confirms the information provided by you on the FAFSA. If you are selected you will be notified to submit a a Federal Tax Return Transcript and the 2012-13 Federal Verification Worksheet to the Office of Financial Aid t by May 1.

  • If you will not file a tax return, check the appropriate non-filing statement on the Verification Worksheet and submit copies of your 2012 W-2 forms.
  • If you are filing an extension for your income tax return, a signed copy of the IRS Application for Extension must be submitted by the May 1 deadline.
  • You may request an IRS tax return transcript by visiting the IRS website or by calling 1-800-829-1040.


If you have any questions regarding the financial aid process, please contact the Office of Financial Aid Services and Student Employment at:

Phone: (315) 781-3315
Fax: (315) 781-4048


Preparing Students to Lead Lives of Consequence.