As we prepare for the fall semester 2013 final grading process, we have made a change to the PeopleSoft on line grading functionality when grades of I, D-, D, D+, F, NC or DCR are issued.
SOMETHING NEW AND VERY IMPORTANT-If issuing grades of I, D, D-, D+, DCR, F or NC, you must indicate a reason/note for these grades (in PeopleSoft) before such grades can be saved and before the grades can be submitted in PeopleSoft. The system will not allow you to submit the grade roster if any of the grades on the grade roster are I, D, D-, D+, DCR, F or NC and DO NOT have a reason indicated.
GRADE REPORTING PROCEDURES:
Faculty members must submit grades to the Registrar no later than 96 hours after each final examination. Any delay will result in students not receiving grades on a timely basis, which can adversely affect their ability to register for the next semester. Timely grade reporting is necessary as it affects the academic review process conducted by the Committee on Standards at the end of each semester. Please adhere to the established deadline for grade submission.
Grading Options Available to HWS Faculty
ONLINE GRADE REPORTING:
Online grading is available to faculty beginningDec. 10 and ending on Dec. 17, 2013.
Go to the Registrar's webpage.
- Click on "HWS PeopleSoft Website."
- At the login, enter your user ID and password (which is the same as your HWS Network ID and password).
- At the Enterprise Menu, click on "Campus Solutions & HR."
- Click on "Self Service" option to view available web services.
- Click on "Faculty Center" and then "My Schedule" to view your current schedule. (Be sure you are viewing the current term. Change the term if necessary.)
- Select the class to grade and click on "Grade Roster" icon.
- Grade Roster Type should be "Final Grade." Approval Status needs to be "Not Reviewed" to enter grades. Enter grades in Roster Grade column. (Use drop down to select grade).
Note: If your entire section is fully graded, then change the Approval Status to "Approved."
IMPORTANT NOTE: If issuing grades of I, D, D-, D+, DCR, F or NC, you must indicate a reason for the grade before such grades can be saved and before the grades can be submitted in PeopleSoft. The system will not allow you to submit a grade roster if any of the grades on the roster are I, D, D-, D+, DCR, F or NC and DO NOT have a reason indicated. Follow the system prompts to input this information. To enter a note/reason, click on "Transcript Note" (2nd tab at the top of the list), then click "Note" in the last column to provide a reason. Enter the text in the designated area. (You are limited to 254 characters. Add any additional notes/reasons by adding new rows using the + sign.) Every time you enter a note, be sure to SAVE FREQUENTLY. See attached instructions for further detail on this process.
- Continue until all students have a grade. Note: It is possible to enter a partial list of grades (which you must save in order to retain your efforts.)
- Once grading is completed, click "Save" at the bottom left of the grade roster. When completing the grade input process for all students in the class, be sure to change the Approval Status to "Approved" to enter the remaining grades in the class.
- ALL GRADES WILL BE POSTED AND AVAILABLE TO STUDENTS (VIA PEOPLESOFT) BEGINNING AT MIDNIGHT ON TUESDAY, DEC. 17, 2013.
- Once grades are posted, a "Request Grade Change" link appears in the Grade Roster action box. This will allow you to change an official grade. Select the new grade in Official Grade column and click "Submit" at bottom of page. Success appears next to the new grade.
- Click "Cancel" at bottom of page and return to the Grade Roster. (The original grade and the new grade will display).
- If you have additional classes to grade, click the "Return" button at the bottom left of the page and repeat steps 7-12.
E-mail Kelly Crawford with Independent Study titles by December 17, 2013.
ONLINE GRADING ENDS AT MIDNIGHT on December 17, 2013. After this date and time, subsequent grade submissions must be done on the hard copy grade roster. If a change of grade is necessary, the Change of Grade form is available in the Registrar's Office.
IN-PERSON GRADE REPORTING USING HARD COPY GRADE ROSTERS:
- Contact Kelly Crawford to request in advance a printed hard copy grade roster for your courses one week before the final exam period.
- Check the following information on the grade roster: Course Number, Course Title, Instructor Name, Student Names
- No grade rosters should exist for non-graded courses (i.e. labs).
- Report discrepancies immediately to the Registrar's Office.
- A grade must be submitted for every student whose name appears on the roster. If a 'W' or '#' appears in the grade column for a student, simply bypass that student. A student will receive no grade report until a letter grade is reported in all courses in which he/she is registered.
- If a student has attended your class whose name does not appear on the grade roster, the student has not properly registered for the course. Do not add names to the roster. Please fill out the Registration Correction Form and return it with the grade roster to the Registrar's Office.
- Please submit titles for any 450 Independent Study courses.
- Use a fine black pen and press firmly when issuing grades.
- Sign your name at the bottom of each grade roster. Retain copy for your record. Penciled in grades are unacceptable and will be returned.
- Grades of D, D-, D+, DCR, F, NC, or I require completion of the D, D-, D+, DCR, F, NC, or I Report Form.
- Please hand deliver grade rosters to the Registrar's Office (Gulick Hall, 1st floor.) Do not send them through intercampus mail.
Exam Schedule and Timeline For Grade Submission
Tuesday, Dec. 10 exams
Grades due Saturday, Dec. 14
Wednesday, Dec. 11 exams
Grades due Sunday, Dec. 15
Thursday, Dec. 12 exams
Grades due Monday, Dec. 16
Friday, Dec. 13 exams
Grades due Tuesday, Dec. 17
Final deadline -
ALL GRADES WILL BE POSTED AND AVAILABLE TO STUDENTS (VIA PEOPLESOFT) BEGINNING AT MIDNIGHT ON TUESDAY, DEC. 17, 2013.
General Notes Regarding Final Examinations
Faculty may substitute a take-home exam for an in-class final; however, take-home exams should be due no earlier than the exam period scheduled for the course.
Fall Semester Exam Schedule is Tuesday, Dec. 10 – Friday, Dec. 13, 2013. Final Exams are only given during the exam week. Exception to the above must be approved by the Provost.