Faculty members must submit grades to the Registrar no later than 96 hours after each final examination. Any delay will result in students not receiving grades on a timely basis, which can adversely affect their ability to register for the next semester. Timely grade reporting is necessary as it affects the academic review process conducted by the Committee on Standards at the end of each semester. Please adhere to the established deadline for grade submission.
Online Grade Reporting
Online grading is available to faculty beginning December 12, 2016.
VERY IMPORTANT: If issuing grades of I, D, D-, D+, DCR, F or NC, you must indicate a reason/note for these grades (in PeopleSoft) before such grades can be saved and before the grades can be submitted in PeopleSoft. The system will not allow you to submit the grade roster if any of the grades on the grade roster are I, D, D-, D+, DCR, F or NC and DO NOT have a reason indicated.
- Go to the Registrar's webpage.
- Click on "HWS PeopleSoft Website."
- At the login, enter your user ID and password (which is the same as your HWS Network ID and password).
- At the Enterprise Menu, click on "Campus Solutions."
- Click on "Self Service" option to view available web services.
- Click on "Faculty Center" and then "My Schedule" to view your current schedule. (Be sure you are viewing the current term. Change the term if necessary.)
- Select the class to grade and click on "Grade Roster" icon.
- Grade Roster Type should be "Final Grade." Approval Status needs to be "Not Reviewed" to enter grades. Enter grades in Roster Grade column. (Use drop down to select grade). Note: If your entire section is fully graded, then change the Approval Status to "Approved."
IMPORTANT NOTE: If issuing grades of I, D, D-, D+, DCR, F or NC, you must indicate a reason for the grade before such grades can be saved and before the grades can be submitted in PeopleSoft. The system will not allow you to submit a grade roster if any of the grades on the roster are I, D, D-, D+, DCR, F or NC and DO NOT have a reason indicated. Follow the system prompts to input this information. To enter a note/reason, click on "Transcript Note" (2nd tab at the top of the list), then click "Note" in the last column to provide a reason. Enter the text in the designated area. (You are limited to 254 characters. Add any additional notes/reasons by adding new rows using the + sign.) Every time you enter a note, be sure to SAVE FREQUENTLY. See attached instructions for further detail on this process. PLEASE DO NOT USE THE BACK ARROW KEY ON YOUR BROWSER when navigating from the “Transcript Note” tab. This will cause the grades to disappear and not be saved. ALWAYS USE THE “RETURN TO SEARCH” option when navigating from the Transcript Note tab. Continue until all students have a grade. Note: It is possible to enter a partial list of grades (which you must save in order to retain your efforts.)
- Once grading is completed, click "Save" at the bottom of the grade roster. When completing the grade input process for all students in the class, be sure to change the Approval Status to "Approved" to enter the remaining grades in the class.
- To officially post grades you have saved, the Registrar will run a process at 11:59 p.m. on Dec. 20 to POST all grades saved. Once grades are posted they appear in the Official Grade column and students can view grades in self service via the PeopleSoft Student Center.
- Once grades are posted, a "Request Grade Change" button appears. This will allow you to change an official grade. Select the new grade in Official Grade column and click "Submit" at bottom of page. Success appears next to the new grade.
- Click "Cancel" at bottom of page and return to the Grade Roster. (The original grade and the new grade will display).
- If you have additional classes to grade, click the "Return" button at the bottom left of the page and repeat steps 7-12.
E-mail Kelly Crawford with Independent Study titles by December 20, 2016.
IN-PERSON GRADE REPORTING USING HARD COPY GRADE ROSTERS:
- Contact Kelly Crawford to request in advance a printed hard copy grade roster for your courses one week before the final exam period.
- Check the following information on the grade roster: Course Number, Course Title, Instructor Name, Student Names
- No grade rosters should exist for non-graded courses (i.e. labs).
- Report discrepancies immediately to the Registrar's Office.
- A grade must be submitted for every student whose name appears on the roster. If a 'W' or '#' appears in the grade column for a student, simply bypass that student. A student will receive no grade report until a letter grade is reported in all courses in which he/she is registered.
- If a student has attended your class whose name does not appear on the grade roster, the student has not properly registered for the course. Do not add names to the roster. Please fill out the Registration Correction Form and return it with the grade roster to the Registrar's Office.
- Please submit titles for any 450 Independent Study courses.
- Use a fine black pen and press firmly when issuing grades.
- Sign your name at the bottom of each grade roster. Retain copy for your record. Penciled in grades are unacceptable and will be returned.
- Grades of D, D-, D+, DCR, F, NC, or I require completion of the D, D-, D+, DCR, F, NC, or I Report Form.
- Please hand deliver grade rosters to the Registrar's Office (Gulick Hall, 1st floor.) Do not send them through intercampus mail.
Exam Schedule and Timeline For Grade Submission
Tuesday, December 13 exams
Grades due Saturday, December 17
Wednesday, December 14 exams
Grades due Sunday, December 18
Thursday, December 15 exams
Grades due Monday, December 19
Friday, December 16 exams
Grades due Tuesday, December 20
ALL GRADES WILL BE POSTED AND AVAILABLE TO STUDENTS (VIA PEOPLESOFT) BEGINNING AT 11:59 P.M. ON TUESDAY, DECEMBER 20, 2016.
General Notes Regarding Final Examinations
Faculty may substitute a take-home exam for an in-class final; however, take-home exams should be due no earlier than the exam period scheduled for the course.
The Fall 2016 Semester Exam Schedule is Tuesday, December 13 – Friday, December 16, 2016. Final Exams are only given during the exam week. Exception to the above must be approved by the Provost.
Office of the Registrar
Gulick Hall, First Floor
Phone: (315) 781-3651
Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Fax: (315) 781-3920