Student Organization Resources
Welcome Club Leaders! Club Connection is your one-stop-shop for all that is clubs and student organizations at HWS. Below you will find important information about a variety of processes that are important to maintaining good club standing throughout the year.
General Club Policies
Please refer to our brochures below for policies governing club events, campus advertising and financial matters.
Looking to start a club? We can help! Here are the simple steps you need to know:
- Develop a constitution: Below, you will find a link to a sample constitution. Use this to develop the basic principles that will guide your club or student organization.
- Recruit! Find a faculty or staff member on campus that would be willing to serve as your advisor and begin scouting out potential members. Talk to friends and classmates about whether or not they would be interested in joining your club once it’s approved.
- Get club status! Hobart Student Government and William Smith Congress approve all recognized clubs through a simple presentation process at their weekly meetings (Tuesday, 8pm in Coxe Hall). If your club is open to all HWS students, you will want to prepare a presentation about your club idea and request a time on the meeting agenda by emailing email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. If your club is College-specific, you will only need to present to that College.
- Register your club! Once you’ve received club status from Hobart Student Government and William Smith Congress, visit the Student Organization Registration link below to register your club with the Office of Student Activities.
General Club Forms
- Sample Constitution- For clubs needing to create a new or update an old constitution.
- Transportation Request Form
Event-Space Request- Use this form to begin your event registration process, once complete, drop it off to the Office of Student Activities. This form allows you to reserve space on campus include rooms, tables, and windows. All events must be registered through the Event Space Request form!
Advertise your event!
- Complete the HWS Calendar Submission Form through the Office of Communications so that all your meetings and events are featured on the HWS Calendar and App.
- Email email@example.com to have your event featured in the Weekly Buzz or Weekend Highlights, be sure to pay attention to the publication schedules:
- Weekly Buzz (Spans Monday through Friday): Submit no later than Wednesday at Noon the week prior to your event
- Weekend Highlights (Spans Thursday through Sunday): Submit no later than Tuesday at Noon the week of your weekend event
Club Funding and the Budget Allocations Committee (BAC)
Each semester all recognized clubs and student organizations have the ability to propose to the Budget Allocations Committee (BAC) for club and event funding. This proposal process can be simple and effective if club leaders take the time to understand the basic needs of a proposal. The HSG and WSC Treasurers have put together a few documents that will help you as you consider BAC funding and the proposal process:
- BAC Club Funding Guidelines
- BAC Club Sport Funding Guidelines
- BAC Event Funding Request Form
- Used for specific event funding requests within your Club Budget Proposal
- BAC Funding Request Form
- Used to combine all event funding requests and miscellaneous requests
- View an example here
Club Sports Forms
Check Request Form (Requisition)- Use this form to get a check cut from your HWS account.
Journal Entry- To transfer funds between HWS clubs or departments
Purchase Order Form - To order any products, supplies, equipment and printed materials that must be shipped to HWS.
Restaurant/Business Charge Slip - Use as the form of payment when dining at local restaurants that accept this form. Requires advanced approval from BAC Treasurers.
Wegman's Card Application- To check out and purchase goods at Wegman's grocery store
W-9- Tax information required on all vendors before checks may be issued