Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Intramural Office?

On the first floor of Bristol Field House across from the front desk.

What is available?

Depending on the season, softball, flag football, a golf outing, soccer, basketball, wallyball, tennis, squash, ultimate frisbee, and floor hockey. Again, these offerings depend on the season and interest. Please check out our calendar for more information.

What is the difference between Intramurals and Club Sports?

Intramurals are sporting events held within a campus amongst its student body. Club sports are those that compete against other universities and colleges. HWS currently offers 17 club sports for those interested and can access the lists on club activities and contacts on the HWS homepage.

How do I get involved?

Form a team with the required number of participants. Submit the form electronically to the Intramural office by noon of the designated deadline date. The intramural coordinators will contact the team captain about meetings and schedules.

Is there a certain skill required?

You do not need to have any specific level of talent in the activity; however a background in how to play the sport is helpful. We offer leagues that will suit both the more competitive intramural participant and the less experienced one looking to play in a more relaxed environment.

Who can participate?

Any student of the colleges, faculty/staff, and employees of Sodexho can participate. However certain sports have requirements on who can participate in them. Co-Rec sports must have at least two women on the field at all times. Open can be any combination of people. If you are playing a varsity sport, you cannot participate in the corresponding intramural sport during that academic year. Please contact the intramural director if any clarification is needed.

When do we play?

Most games are played Sunday afternoons and evenings and then Monday through Thursday evenings.

Can I play on more than one team?

No, you cannot play on more than one team in a league. However, you can play in different leagues.

Need a job?

The intramural program provides two types of job opportunities, intramural coordinator and referees. Previous experience officiating or participating in the given sport is preferable but not necessary. Aside from flexible hours and great pay, we have a fun work environment. Contact Russ Hess in the intramural office for more information.

What if I don't have a team?

The intramural office is willing to attempt to put a team together in each sport of individuals without teams or place you on an existing team. However we can't guarantee that we will have enough individuals to form a complete team. Please contact the intramural director if you are an individual looking for a team.

Where can I pick up an entry form?

We have forms available on-line (on website) that should be returned electronically to the intramural director. All completed forms must be returned to the intramural office by the designated deadline date!


More Intramural Links


If you have any questions that were not answered on this page, please contact:

Russ Hess
Phone:(315) 781-3901
Email: hess@hws.edu


Preparing Students to Lead Lives of Consequence.