Effective Date: June 1, 2018
- Information that we collect when you interact with the Site
- How we use and process the information that we collect
- How we may share information with third parties
- The security of your information
1. Scope; Links to Other Site
2. Information We Collect
The only personally identifiable information the Colleges collects via our Site is that which is voluntarily provided by our customers and visitors. For example, you may provide personally identifiable information to us via the "Contact" forms on our website. "Personally identifiable information" may include contact information such as your first name, last name, email address, phone number, payment card-related information, as well as any other personally identifiable information you may input as free text in a comment box. Our website analytics tools may also automatically collect your IP address when you use the Site.
3. Cookies and Other Information Collection Tools
What are cookies? A cookie is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website or use an online service. When you visit the website again, the cookie allows that site or online service to recognize your browser. Cookies may store unique identifiers, user preferences and other information.
How do I control cookies? Web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to manage and delete cookies, visit www.allaboutcookies.org. Some web browsers provide settings that allow a user to reject cookies or to alert a user when a cookie is placed on the user's computer, tablet or mobile device. Most mobile devices also offer settings to reject mobile device identifiers. Although users are not required to accept cookies or mobile device identifiers, blocking or rejecting them may prevent access to some features available through the Site.
4. How Information is Used
We may use the information we collect for any of the following purposes:
- to provide the Site to our customers and to you and to improve the Site;
- to operate, improve, and personalize the products and services we offer, and to give each user a more consistent and personalized experience when interacting with us;
- to provide you with information about products and services that we think may be of interest to you;
- for customer service, security, to detect fraud or illegal activities, and for archival and backup purposes in connection with the provision of the Site;
- for research and analysis purposes;
- to communicate with users; and
5. How We Share Information We Collect
Hobart and William Smith Colleges will share personally identifiable information about you with other companies or people when one or more of the following conditions apply:
- We have your consent to share the information;
- We need to share your information to provide the product or service you have requested;
- We need to send the information to companies who work on behalf of the Colleges to provide a product or service to you. (Unless we tell you differently, these companies do not have any right to use the personally identifiable information we provide to them beyond what is necessary to assist us.);
- We are responding to subpoenas, court orders or legal process; or
- We find it necessary to protect and defend the legal rights or property of Hobart and William Smith Colleges.
6. Security of Your Information
We employ reasonable security measures designed to protect the security of information submitted through the Site. However, the security of information transmitted through the Internet can never be guaranteed. We are not responsible for any interception or interruption of any communications through the Internet or for changes to or losses of data. Users of the Site are responsible for maintaining the security of any password, user ID or other form of authentication involved in obtaining access to password protected or secure areas of any of our Site. In order to protect you and your data, we may suspend your use of the Site, without notice, pending an investigation, if any breach of security is suspected. Access to and use of password protected and/or secure areas of the Site are restricted to authorized users only. Unauthorized access to such areas is prohibited.
We do not knowingly collect or maintain personally identifiable information from any person under the age of 16. No parts of our Site are directed to or designed to attract anyone under the age of 16.
9. Do Not Track
The Site does not support Do Not Track with respect to the Site at this time. Do Not Track is a privacy preference that you can set in your web browser to indicate that you do not want certain information about your webpage visits collected across websites when you have not interacted with that service on the page. For all the details, including how to turn on Do Not Track, visit www.donottrack.us.
10. Visitors from the EU
We provide the Site from servers located in the United States. If you provide personal data to us, we will transfer your personal data to the United States where our servers are located. We will only transfer your personal data to the United States through the use of appropriate safeguards such as standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission or with your consent. If the transfer of your personal data or processing of your personal data is based on your consent, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent we will not be able to provide you with the Site.
If you are having difficulty submitting a form or you have unanswered questions, please call the Support Center Help Desk at (315) 781-4357, or e-mail email@example.com.