The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion fosters dignity and respect ensuring that all members of the HWS community have an equal opportunity to thrive.
Within the DEI Office are programs, centers and initiatives designed to build belonging including:
- First Generation Initiative
- LBGTQ+ Resource Center
- Intercultural Affairs Center
- International Student Success
- Opportunity Programs
- Title IX
At Hobart and William Smith Colleges, we strive to create a just and inclusive environment where all students, faculty and staff are valued and respected. We believe that diversity in identity and perspective enriches our community and prepares us all to lead lives of consequence. We recognize that historical practices and policies have privileged certain groups while excluding others from institutions of higher education, and thus the work of diversity at HWS seeks to account for those inequities by promoting college access and working to ensure that every member of the HWS community has an equal opportunity to thrive.
What We Do
The Office Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) works with partners across campus to build an educational, residential and professional environment where all community members feel valued and respected. We envision a community where diversity is embraced and consistently sought, and where equity and inclusion are practiced. By focusing on the following key areas: recruitment and retention, campus climate, and education, the Office strives to both enhance the representation of diverse individuals on campus and cultivate a sense of belonging for all.
- Recruitment and Retention: DEI works to increase the recruitment of historically underrepresented students, faculty and staff on campus and offers programs and initiatives to ensure their success.
- Campus Climate: DEI cultivates an environment where all students, faculty and staff feel respected and have a sense of belonging. DEI uses various mechanisms to assess the campus climate and develop necessary interventions to respond.
- Education: DEI collaborates with various offices to ensure that institution wide opportunities for diversity education and cultural competency are available and accessed by students, faculty and staff.
Belonging-Diversity-&-EquityHWS Expands Posse Partnership
Ten years after Hobart and William Smith began its partnership with Posse students from Los Angeles, the Colleges are expanding its partnership with Posse to welcome students from Chicago.
ArtsDisability Arts Ensemble Kinetic Light to Perform at HWS
The internationally recognized disability arts ensemble Kinetic Light will perform on Saturday, Sept. 3 at 7:30 p.m. in the Deming Theatre of the Gearan Center for the Performing Arts.
Belonging-Diversity-&-Equity“Destined for Greatness”: Alger Adams Dinner 2022